Before you surgery, you can help us make sure your skin is as clean as possible. This is one of many steps we take to help reduce the chance of infections. You can reduce the number of germs on your skin by carefully washing before surgery, using the following instructions.
Two nights prior to your surgery:
- Shower with your normal bath products; wash your face, hair and private areas.
- Wet your entire body, turn the water off, apply the Chlorhexidine Gluconate (Hibiclens) solution to your body, lather your entire body from the neck down, and gently wash your body with the solution, avoiding your face, hair and private areas. Leave the hibiclens on your skin for one minute.
- Once you have completed the scrub, rinse the Antiseptic solution off your body completely. Do not use regular soap once you have used the Antiseptic solution.
- Pat yourself dry with a clean freshly washed towel. Dress with clean freshly washed clothes. Be sure that your sheets are freshly washed.
One night prior to surgery:
- Follow the shower instructions above. Be sure to use a freshly washed towel, dress with clean washed clothes. It is not necessary to change your sheets each night.
Morning of your surgery:
- Follow the shower instructions above.
- Do not apply any lotion to your skin, or use hair products.
- No nail polishes, artificial nails, make up or perfume.
- Remove all jewelry (including all body piercings).
- You may use deodorant, except if your procedure involves shoulders or neck.
If you share a bed, your partner will also need to use an anti-bacterial product such as: Soft soap, or Dial.
Do not allow pets or small children to sleep in your bed prior to surgery.