South County Health volunteers contribute their time and talents to our organization in the following areas. Volunteer opportunities may vary depending on need and time of year.
Ambulatory Care Volunteer
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m.| Monday – Friday
- Volunteers in the Ambulatory Care Center provide assistance to post-operative patients, offer nourishment, refill water pitchers, offer blankets and other comfort items, and assist with resolving non-clinical concerns.
Auxiliary Coffee and Gift Shops
Hours: 9 a.m. – Noon; Noon – 4 p.m.| Sunday – Saturday
Since 1976, the Auxiliary has raised more than $1.5 million for Hospital services and equipment through fundraising events, staffing the Hospital's coffee shop and gift shop, and other special projects. Please join them in their mission by volunteering in the Coffee Shop or Gift Shop.
- Spend time talking with patients and visitors while offering an item from our menu.
- Interact with staff and patients while they peruse our local items in the Gift Shop.
- Spend your time being a part of a dynamic fundraising group.
Cancer Center Volunteer
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – noon | Weekdays
- The Cancer Center is looking for someone to help make a difference in an office environment by assisting staff with greeting visitors and working with phones, filing, copying and computers. This role provides volunteers the opportunity to gain experience in a professional environment or supportive waiting area and learn new skills.
Central Sterile Volunteer
Hours: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Monday – Saturday
- Volunteers work with Central Sterile staff to perform basic reprocessing duties, and assist surgical services staff to increase efficiency between the Operating Room and Central Sterile Department
Comfort Cart Volunteer
Hours: 10 a.m. – noon | 7 days per week
- Volunteers greet and interact with patients and visitors on inpatient units and waiting areas by offering them magazines and other comfort items. This assignment requires the individual to be outgoing and conversational. The candidate must also be able to stand and walk for the entire shift and be capable of pushing a small cart.
Hours: 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. | Sunday – Saturday
Over 18 years old preferred
- Respond to patient call lights and round on patients
- Provide comfort measures to patients and visitors
- Assist nursing staff by stocking supplies
- Provide updates to patients and visitors
- Visit with patients and visitors
- Interested applicants must be able to walk for the majority of 3- or 4-hour shift. Ideal candidates will be proactive, responsible, friendly, and possess excellent communication skills.
Hours: various | Monday – Friday
- South County Hospital offers a wide range of opportunities for college students. We have limited formalized internships but most students take advantage of volunteer hours in patient care area, with an added project, and receive course credit.
- Privileges & Benefits:
- Interact with professionals in their respective fields.
- Gain invaluable real-world job experience.
- Resume enhancement & letters of recommendation.
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 11 a.m., Monday; 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m., Thursday
- Volunteers greet and welcome family members to Pre-Admission Testing, and assist them in completing the Orthopedic Registry surveys on the iPad and answer questions they may have about the Registry and surveys.
Hours: 10 a.m. – noon; 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.; evenings| Monday – Friday
- South County Hospital offers complimentary Reiki services to inpatients—a hands-on technique for stress reduction for the mind and body. The program is run by a dedicated team of certified Reiki practitioners.
- If you are interested in becoming a Reiki volunteer, you must be at least a level-one certified practitioner.
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
Welcome and greet patients and visitors.
- Provide excellent directions
- Escort individuals who need help with way finding to various departments; be ready and willing to assist individuals who need wheelchair assistance.
- Stay up-to-date on what's happening at South County Health and share information in a patient-focused manner.
Patient Experience Team
Hours: 9:30 a.m. – noon | Monday – Friday
- The Patient Experience Team assists patients with addressing issues patients may have during their stay and fixing the problem or connecting the patient with their care team. They offer comfort items, safety checks and companionship to all patients. The position requires individual to walk 2-3 hours at a time and enjoy patient contact.
Pet Therapy Volunteer
Daytime Hours | Monday – Friday
- Research has proven that pet therapy improves physical and mental health. It lowers blood pressure, boosts cardiovascular health, and lessens depression and anxiety.
- You must be the owner of a certified therapy pet.
- Program participation is limited.
Hours: 10 a.m. – noon | Monday – Friday
- This volunteer position assists nursing staff by performing safety checks on high fall risk patients, making a safer environment for our patients.
- Rounding on inpatients according to their fall risk
- Communicate to family and loved ones on our Fall Prevention Program.
- Help educate patients by reminding them to Call, don’t Fall.
- Monitoring bed/chair alarm usage.
- Ideal candidates will be reliable, proactive, friendly, and possess excellent communication skills.
South County Health Clerical Volunteer
Hours: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Monday – Friday
- Clerical assignments within the South County Health provide assistance with the creation and upkeep of patient files and medical records. Tasks include organization, scanning and copying for conversion to electronic storage.
- Computer and copier capabilities are essential to this position.
Surgical Services Family Liaison
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m.| Monday – Friday
- Volunteers greet and welcome family members and visitors waiting for loved ones in surgery, answer phone calls, replenish supplies, provide directions and answer questions. Ideal candidates will be reliable, friendly and possess good communication skills. Ideal candidates will be reliable, proactive, friendly, and possess excellent communication skills.
Hours: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. | 7 days per week
This is an evening Nursing Unit volunteer assignment. The goal of this program is to prepare patients for a restful evening.
- Volunteers assist patients at meal time by clearing the tray tables of clutter, offering warm wash cloths, helping to open containers and cut food, and retrieving items from the pantry.
- Volunteers offer patients complimentary comfort items.
- Volunteers complete a final round to take extra time to chat with patients and assist with non-clinical concerns.
Hours: 9 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
- Imagine being the person responsible for making a patient or visitor's first impression a positive one! As a welcoming presence at the front doors of our hospital and Medical Office Building, Volunteer Greeters put a personal touch on patient and visitors' experiences through their greeting, escorting, giving directions and wheelchair assistance. We are looking for compassionate, engaging individuals who like to help others.