South County Health volunteers contribute their time and talents to our organization in the following areas. Volunteer opportunities may vary depending on need and time of year.
Ambulatory Care Volunteer
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
- Volunteers in the Ambulatory Care Center assist post-procedure patients, offer nourishment, refill water pitchers, offer blankets and other comfort items, and assist with resolving non-clinical concerns.
- Family Waiting Room Volunteers provide updates to family on procedures and connect them with their loved one post procedure.
Auxiliary Gift Shop
Hours: 9 a.m. – Noon; Noon – 4 p.m. | Sunday – Saturday
Since 1976, the Auxiliary has raised more than $1.5 million for Hospital services and equipment through fundraising events, staffing the Hospital's gift shop and other special projects. Please join them in their mission by volunteering in the Gift Shop.
- Spend time talking with patients and visitors while offering an item from our menu.
- Interact with staff and patients while they peruse our local items in the Gift Shop.
- Spend your time being a part of a dynamic fundraising group.
Cancer Center Volunteer
Hours: 8:30 a.m. – noon | Weekdays
- The Cancer Center is looking for someone to help make a difference in an office environment by assisting staff with greeting visitors and working with phones, filing, copying and computers. This role provides volunteers the opportunity to gain experience in a professional environment or supportive waiting area and learn new skills.
Comfort Cart Volunteer
Hours: 10 a.m. – noon | 7 days per week
- Volunteers greet and interact with patients and visitors on inpatient units and waiting areas by offering them magazines and other comfort items. This assignment requires the individual to be outgoing and conversational. The candidate must also be able to stand and walk for the entire shift and be capable of pushing a small cart.
Hours: 8 a.m. – Noon; Noon – 4 p.m.; 4 p.m. - 8 p.m. | Sunday – Saturday
Over 18 years old preferred
- Welcome patients to Emergency Department
- Provide comfort items to patients and visitors
- Assist nursing staff by answering nonclinical requests, stocking supplies and wheelchair transport
- Provide updates to patients and visitors
- Round on patients to ensure exceptional experience
Interested applicants must be able to walk for the majority of 3- or 4-hour shift. Ideal candidates will be proactive, responsible, friendly, and possess excellent communication skills.
Nursing Unit Volunteer
Hours: 7 a.m. - 11 a.m. | Monday - Friday
Volunteers assist nursing units with patient rounding, connecting families and caregivers with their providers to ensure the best possible patient experience.
- Answering unit phone to connect caregivers, families and providers or nursing staff.
- Rounding on patients, providing comfort items and food & nourishment.
Hours: 10 a.m. – noon; 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.; evenings | Monday – Friday
- South County Hospital offers complimentary Reiki services to inpatients—a hands-on technique for stress reduction for the mind and body. The program is run by a dedicated team of certified Reiki practitioners.
- If you are interested in becoming a Reiki volunteer, you must be at least a level-one certified practitioner.
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
Welcome and greet patients and visitors.
- Provide excellent directions
- Escort individuals who need help with way finding to various departments; be ready and willing to assist individuals who need wheelchair assistance.
- Stay up-to-date on what's happening at South County Health and share information in a patient-focused manner.
Patient Information Desk & Patient Escort
Hours: 8 a.m. – noon; noon - 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
Assisting the community by welcoming patients, families and visitors to South County Health:
- Welcome, greet and escort patients to their destinations, ensuring seamless start of care.
- Assisting patients checking in for outpatient surgery or appointments in the hospital.
- Be ready and willing to support individuals who need wheelchair assistance.
Patient Experience Team
Hours: 9:30 a.m. - noon | Monday - Friday
The Patient Experience Team assists patients with addressing issues patients may have during their stay and fixing the problem or connecting the patient with their care team. They offer comfort items, safety checks and companionship to all patients. The position requires individual to walk 2-3 hours at a time and enjoy patient contact.
Pet Therapy Volunteer
Daytime Hours | Monday – Friday
- Research has proven that pet therapy improves physical and mental health. It lowers blood pressure, boosts cardiovascular health, and lessens depression and anxiety.
- Candidates must be the owner of a certified therapy pet.
- Program participation is limited.
South County Health Clerical Volunteer
Hours: 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. | Monday – Friday
- Clerical assignments within the South County Health provide assistance with the creation and upkeep of patient files and medical records. Tasks include organization, scanning and copying for conversion to electronic storage.
- Computer and copier capabilities are essential to this position.
Hours: 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. | 7 days per week
This is an evening Nursing Unit volunteer assignment. The goal of this program is to prepare patients for a restful evening.
- Volunteers assist patients at meal time by clearing the tray tables of clutter, offering warm wash cloths, helping to open containers and cut food, and retrieving items from the pantry.
- Volunteers offer patients complimentary comfort items.
- Volunteers complete a final round to take extra time to chat with patients and assist with non-clinical concerns.
Hours: 9 a.m. – noon; noon – 4 p.m. | Monday – Friday
- Imagine being the person responsible for making a patient or visitor's first impression a positive one! As a welcoming presence at the front doors of our hospital and Medical Office Building, Volunteer Greeters put a personal touch on patient and visitors' experiences through their greeting, escorting, giving directions and wheelchair assistance. We are looking for compassionate, engaging individuals who like to help others.